[Mauiusers] Plea for showq change to not show blocked jobs by default (or at least set by compile time option)

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Fri Dec 16 00:18:40 MST 2005

Hi all,

We're starting to have real problems where users are getting intimidated with
the huge number of blocked jobs we get. They type showq and get pages and
pages of blocked jobs scroll past and the information that is of interest to
them is lost.

Now both myself and Brett tried to look at the code to figure out how we could
persuade it to suppress listing those but couldn't make head nor tail of
it. :-(

What we'd like is for it to say (to take our current situation as an example):

31 active jobs          178 of 178 processors in use by local jobs (100.00%)
                          89 of 89 nodes active      (100.00%)

803 blocked jobs  (do "showq -b" to see blocked jobs)

Total jobs:  887

Rather than the user loose that information with the listing of the 803
blocked jobs.

I know you can do showq -r and showq -i, but with getting on for 450 different
users from 7 universities, mostly not very techy and a lot whose English is
not very good because they've come to study from overseas (which is no
reflection on them, because they speak English far better than I can speak
anything else, even my native Welsh) we would prefer to make the default
behaviour non-threatening.

What are our chances ?

cheers!
Chris