[Mauiusers] IGNGROUP vs. IGNSYSTEM?

Andrew J Caird acaird at umich.edu
Fri Aug 5 12:35:13 MDT 2005

Hello all,

We have a cluster that is shared between several groups; they want hard
limits on the number of nodes each group can use, but also don't want
the system to go idle.  They have agreed that short jobs (24 hours or
less) can run if there are free nodes, even if they are over their other
limits.

I've implemented this using this basic maui.cfg:

QOSCFG[shortjob] QFLAGS=IGNSYSTEM  PRIORITY=0
CLASSCFG[short] PLIST=GENERAL QDEF=shortjob
CLASSCFG[workq] PLIST=GENERAL
GROUPCFG[groupa]     MAXPROC=59,65 PRIORITY=100
GROUPCFG[groupb]     MAXPROC=34,37 PRIORITY=100
GROUPCFG[groupc]     MAXPROC=58,65 PRIORITY=100
GROUPCFG[groupd]     MAXPROC=9,10  PRIORITY=100

and in PBS the short queue has a maximum time of 24 hours.

However, in the maui docs for QOSFLAG
(http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/a.fparameters.shtml#qosflags
and http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/7.3qos.shtml) it
implies that IGNGROUP or IGNPROCPERGROUP should also work, but in my
experience, it doesn't.  In this simple case, IGNSYSTEM ("jobs should
ignore all system throttling policies") works fine, but I can imagine
other cases where I'll not want to be so sweeping with my IGNs.

Did I do something wrong, or is this not implemented, or is there
something else going on?

Thanks.
--andy