[Mauiusers] problem with maxnode & partitions

Andrew J Caird acaird at umich.edu
Fri Apr 8 09:51:16 MDT 2005

I have a similar question; maybe some general clarification on MAXNODE
and MAXPROC would help both Darrian and me.

I have a configuration that looks like:

USERCFG[DEFAULT]        PLIST=GENERAL  FSTARGET=10 MAXPROC=32
CLASSCFG[long] MAXNODE=96 PLIST=GENERAL PRIORITY=40
CLASSCFG[short] MAXNODE=64 PLIST=GENERAL PRIORITY=30
CLASSCFG[private1] PLIST=PRIVATE1 PRIORITY=60
CLASSCFG[private2] PLIST=PRIVATE2 PRIORITY=60

NODECFG[n001] PARTITION=GENERAL
NODECFG[n100] PARTITION=GENERAL
NODECFG[n101] PARTITION=PRIVATE1
NODECFG[n150] PARTITION=PRIVATE1
NODECFG[n151] PARTITION=PRIVATE2
NODECFG[n200] PARTITION=PRIVATE2

In English, I'm trying to say: for the 100 nodes in the GENERAL
partition, no more than 96 can be used for long jobs, and no more than
64 for short jobs; there are no such restrictions on PRIVATE1 or
PRIVATE2; overall no one can run on more than 32 processors.  This seems
to be working for me.

What I'd like to say, however, is that no one user can run on more than
32 processors in the GENERAL partition, regardless of what they are
doing in a PRIVATE partition, and that there are no such limits in the
PRIVATE partitions.  In fact, does specifying PLIST=GENERAL in the
USERCFG line mean I'm getting this today?  I haven't had a job mix that
would test this.  Perhaps this is what Darrien needs?

I tried eliminating the MAXPROC=32 from the USERCFG line and adding this:

CLASSCFG[long] MAXNODE=96 PLIST=GENERAL PRIORITY=40 MAXPROC[USER]=32
CLASSCFG[short] MAXNODE=64 PLIST=GENERAL PRIORITY=30 MAXPROC[USER]=32

but it didn't seem to work.  The docs at
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/6.2throttlingpolicies.shtml
seem to imply that it should.

Thanks a lot for any insight.

--andy