[Mauiusers] Urgent jobs

David Jackson jacksond at clusterresources.com
Sat Apr 2 09:26:01 MST 2005

Yaroslav,

  Thanks for responding.  On behalf of the Maui gurus, we apologize for
being so non-responsive.  We are swamped like you wouldn't believe.  We
keep hiring people but we can't keep up!  We are very happy about all
the growth but we apologize we are stretched thin on some fronts.

  Regarding the question, would there be the possibility of using
TORQUE/OpenPBS's virtual processors ('np' attribute) to set the absolute
maximum bound per node and use standing reservations to reserve a
portion of these virtual processors for use only by 'special' jobs.  For
example, for each node you could set the number of virtual processors to
8.  You could then create a standing reservation with a CLASSLIST ACL of
'short' which reserved 4 of those 8 nodes exclusively for 'short' jobs.
Thus, normal jobs could use up to 4 processors, short jobs could use up
to 8 processors, and the total of all jobs would also be limited to 8
processors.

  Would this work?  Please let us know how things go.

Dave