[Mauiusers] Urgent jobs

Yaroslav Halchenko maui at onerussian.com
Sat Apr 2 08:42:15 MST 2005

Hi Torsten,

Because all maui gurus seems to keep respectable silence, I will try to
help you at least the way I solved similar problem.

I'm pretty sure that dynamic extension of maxload is not possible and I
didn't succeed with seting up timeshared nodes... So what I've done is
simple
double number of available CPUs, ie np=2*realcpunumber for each node

set queue main max_running = nodes*realcpunumber
set queue short max_running = nodes*realcpunumber

and in maui choose nodes by the job count:
NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY     PRIORITY
NODECFG[DEFAULT]         PRIORITYF='SPEED  - 10 * JOBCOUNT'
so I favor fast jobs

such method is far from being optimal because in some cases you can get
more than realcpunumber jobs on the same host, which you dont' want. but
if regularly you run long jobs in main and short in short then such
non-desired scheduling is rare

I would be glad to hear any better ideas

--
Yarik

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 06:23:48PM +0200, Torsten Wolf wrote:
> My first guess was, to divide the nodes into one half of exclusive nodes
> and another half of timeshared nodes. Then I could use loadleveling with
> a value of 2 per node and would have the same behaviour on the system as
> before. But with this I hoped that, I could create a queue/scheduler
> policy which allows me to extend the maximum load for such urgent jobs.
> A user would request 5 minutes in that special queue, the maximim load
> would be increased to e.g. 4 and his job could start at once. Yes, there
> should be an upper load limit, so that the machine is not flooded by
> such jobs. But actually, I have no idea how to do this with OpenPBS. The
> ideal and maximum load is configured per mom and cannot be altered by
> queues/jobs.

> So I came across to Maui and would like to know, if this scheduler would
> fit my needs. Or can this be achieved even with the scheduler shipped
> with OpenPBS? Hopefully, I have not bothered you too much.

> Best wishes,
> Torsten

                                                  Yaroslav Halchenko
                  Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers
          Office  (973) 353-5440 x263  Fax (973) 353-1171
   Ph.D. Student  CS Dept. NJIT