[Mauiusers] MAXNODES broken?

Hyrum Carroll hyrum at supercluster.org
Fri Oct 29 15:31:27 MDT 2004

Michael,

  Maui only enforces node usage limits if the nodecount is explicitly
specified by the job.  In many cases, only a task or processor count is
specified with the job and the node usage limit is ineffective.  Maui
filters jobs based on policies, then determines which nodes are
available to jobs, then maps processors requested to available nodes.
Because of this, if no node count is explicitly specified, maui does not
know node mappings until after the job has been selected.  Processor
based usage limits may work better in your environment.

  Moab 4.2 and higher uses a more advanced job selection algorithm and
is able to determine node usage early and enforce MAXNODE limits even
when node usage is not explicitly specified.

  Please let us know if we can assist you further.

Hyrum