[Mauiusers] Standing Reservation.

Amitoj G. Singh amitoj at cs.uh.edu
Thu Oct 28 13:48:03 MDT 2004

We have a 128 node linux PC cluster. We are running OpenPBS 2.3.16
(Torque) and Maui 3.2.5p4. We have set 124 nodes on the cluster for
default "queue" of walltime 24 hours. We need to set aside 4 nodes for
short jobs of half an hour but they still should fall under the same
default "queue". Using an older version of Maui i was able to do something
like this and it worked:

SRNAME[0]                   shortjobs
SRHOSTLIST[0]               node10[2-5]
SRTASKCOUNT[0]              4
SRRESOURCES[0]              PROCS=1
SRMAXTIME[0]                00:30:00
SRPERIOD[0]                 INFINITY
SRACCESS[0]                 DEDICATED

But with the latest version of Maui i changed the above to this and it
does not work anymore (since the above has been deprecated in Maui 3.2 and
above)

SRCFG[shortjobs] STARTTIME=0:00:00
SRCFG[shortjobs] ENDTIME=24:00:00
SRCFG[shortjobs] TIMELIMIT=00:30:00
SRCFG[shortjobs] PERIOD=INFINITY
SRCFG[shortjobs] HOSTLIST=node102,node103,node104,node105
SRCFG[shortjobs] ACCESS=DEDICATED

I am not sure what i am doing wrong. I am appending my entire maui.cfg
file for further debugging help. Any help in this regard will be much
appreciated.

- Amitoj.

# maui.cfg

SERVERHOST            xxx.xxx.xxx

# primary admin must be first in list
ADMIN1                root
ADMIN2                user1
RMTYPE[0]             PBS
RMPOLLINTERVAL        00:00:60

SERVERNAME            xxx
SERVERPORT            42559
# This is the port PBS server wants us
# to talk to him at, but seems to be flaky
#SERVERPORT            15004
SERVERMODE            NORMAL

LOGDIR                /usr/local/maui/log
LOGFILE               maui.log
LOGFILEMAXSIZE        100000000
LOGLEVEL              0

#DEFAULTDOMAIN        <DOMAIN>

# Priority Weights
QUEUETIMEWEIGHT       10
#RESOURCEWEIGHT       80
#BYPASS               75

# FairShare
FSPOLICY              DEDICATEDPS
FSDEPTH               4
FSINTERVAL            43200
FSDECAY               0.5

# Policies
BACKFILLPOLICY        FIRSTFIT
ALLOCATIONPOLICY      FIRSTAVAILABLE
RESERVATIONPOLICY     CURRENTHIGHEST

# Users can have maximum 16 jobs running 4 jobs queued and maximum 96 hrs
# of cpu runnning time
#
USERCFG[DEFAULT]            MAXJOB=40 MAXCPS=3456000 MAXNODE=128 MAXIJOB=4
USERCFG[user2]             MAXJOB=4 MAXNODE=64
USERCFG[user3]             MAXJOB=60 MAXCPS=3456000 MAXNODE=172 MAXIJOB=4

ENFORCERESOURCELIMITS       ON
# jobs will be allowed to exceed only 1 hr of wallclock time and will
# start in maximum 72 hrs and the maximum amount of wallclock time that
# can be requested by a single job is 24 hrs and a job will be held in the
# deferred state for 1 min before being released back to the Idle job
queue
#
JOBMAXOVERRUN               01:00:00
JOBMAXSTARTTIME             72:00:00
SYSTEMMAXJOBWALLTIME        24:00:00
DEFERTIME                   00:01:00

# Standing Reservations
# for shortjobs only 4 nodes will be used and will have a maximum running
# time cap of 30 mins
#
#SRNAME[0]                   shortjobs
#SRHOSTLIST[0]               node10[2-5]
#SRTASKCOUNT[0]              4
#SRRESOURCES[0]              PROCS=1
#SRMAXTIME[0]                00:30:00
#SRPERIOD[0]                 INFINITY
#SRACCESS[0]                 DEDICATED

SRCFG[shortjobs] STARTTIME=0:00:00
SRCFG[shortjobs] ENDTIME=24:00:00
SRCFG[shortjobs] TIMELIMIT=00:30:00
SRCFG[shortjobs] PERIOD=INFINITY
SRCFG[shortjobs] HOSTLIST=node102,node103,node104,node105
SRCFG[shortjobs] ACCESS=DEDICATED

# Node Sets
# To classify node sets we use the processor speed properties.
# sxxx where xxxx defines the processor speed in mhz under
# pbs node properties. Maui strips off the s and uses the xxxx
# to assign jobs to same speed processor sets. By default users
# are assigned the slowest set of processors. We will wait for 73 hrs
# before we start assigning jobs across different speed processors,
# but by then the job will be killed anywayz ensuring that we will never
# cross processor speed boundaries.
#
NODESETPOLICY                   ONEOF
NODESETATTRIBUTE                PROCSPEED
NODESETPRIORITYTYPE             MINLOSS
NODESETTOLERANCE                0
NODESETDELAY                    73:00:00
FEATUREPROCSPEEDHEADER          s
FEATURENODETYPEHEADER           s$