[Mauiusers] resources_default.neednodes = hsn and maui not working

Jones, Wesley wesley_jones at nrel.gov
Thu Oct 21 08:51:56 MDT 2004

One way to tie a queue to a set of nodes is to
1) add an attribute to the nodes in the server_priv/nodes file.
E.g.
# grep node032 /var/spool/PBS/server_priv/nodes
node032 np=2 hsn

2) use neednodes for a specific queue
Qmgr: set queue HSN-Std resources_default.neednodes = hsn

I installed torque-1.1.0p3 and maui-3.2.6p9 on a tao linux system.

The only modification I made to maui.cfg was to add the line:
ENABLEMULTIREQJOBS      TRUE

The complete HSN-Std queue is listed below.

When a submit jobs to the HSN-Std queue they should only run on nodes with
the hsn attribute.  However, maui is running jobs on nodes without respect
to the need nodes attribute.  If I exectute the following command.

[apps]$ echo 'echo start;sleep 10; echo stop' | qsub -l nodes=1:ppn=2 -q
HSN-Std
105.head4
[apps]$ qstat -n

head4:
                                                            Req'd  Req'd
Elap
Job ID          Username Queue    Jobname    SessID NDS TSK Memory Time  S
Time
--------------- -------- -------- ---------- ------ --- --- ------ ----- -
-----
105.head4       apps     HSN-Std  STDIN        2795   1  --    --  08:00 R
--
   node064/1+node064/0

[root]# grep node064 /var/spool/PBS/server_priv/nodes
node064 np=2 mem8GB ethnodes

The job runs on node064 when it should not be allowed to run on node64.

WEs

HSN-Std Queue
[root at lester4 config]# qmgr
Max open servers: 4
Qmgr: list queue HSN-Std
Queue HSN-Std
        queue_type = Execution
        Priority = 70
        total_jobs = 1
        state_count = Transit:0 Queued:1 Held:0 Waiting:0 Running:0
Exiting:0
        max_running = 50
        resources_max.cput = 08:00:00
        resources_min.cput = 00:30:01