[Mauiusers] Jobs in Queue Forever

Gabe Turner gabe at msi.umn.edu
Thu Nov 4 08:42:14 MST 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 09:21:55AM +1100, Chris Samuel wrote:
> It's fairly easy to work around, as administrator you reset neednodes to the
> value that the job was asking for initially, so if it job 503 is a single CPU
> job you could do:
>
>  qalter -l neednodes=1 503

Also, if you don't want to bother looking at when the job was asking for,
you can remove neednodes entirely by passing it no value:

qalter -l neednodes= 503

Unfortunately, I have this problem in PBSPro 5.4.1 and have always had this
problem.  It does make sense to leave neednodes set when a node goes down,
however, since it will ensure that those jobs get run at that node as soon
as it comes back.  However, this assumes that the node will come back soon,
i.e. that it wasn't a hardware failure that brought it down.  Unfortunately
for me, I'm almost never in the situation that I can bring the node back up
promptly so I have to manually go through all the jobs that were on the
node and unset neednodes :\

Gabe

Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
UNIX Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu