[torqueusers] Re: [Mauiusers] MAXNODES broken?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Nov 3 15:04:00 MST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:05 am, John Wagner wrote:

> No easy way to get a random allocation. But if you are using a cluster
> built with bi-proc nodes then
>    qsub -l nodes=45:ppn=2
> will give you 90 processors spread over 45 nodes (i.e 45 nodes with 2
> job processors each on them).
> Thus
>    qsub -l nodes=45:ppn=2+1:ppn=1
> will give you  45 nodes with 2 job processors allocated plus one node
> with 1 job processor allocated giving you 91 processors in total.

Yup, I'm aware of this, but it doesn't help when you've got 90 CPUs spread
around in a fairly haphazard manner due to other folks jobs.

What we really want is a way to say to someone wanting to run a large job
"just do this and you'll get N (where N>90) CPUs across the cluster",
otherwise you've got to wait a long time (potentially months with some of our
users) to get your job running for your requested configuration to appear..

> I don't know of anyway to say you want 91 processors randomly
> distributed anywhere there are free "job slots" within the cluster.

This is what I'm really after, anyone got any clues ?

> I hope this helps to solve your problem.

Sadly not, this has been a long standing whinge of mine.. :-)

Chris