[Mauiusers] Maui double dipping to the AM

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Aug 31 22:12:56 MDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:36:12AM -0600, jacksond at supercluster.org alleged:
> Garrick,
>
>   With the help of CHPC we were able to track and correct what we believe
> is the source of the problem.  This solution is in testing now and should
> be rolled into to the latest Maui release this week.  Would you like us to
> directly email you when this release is available?

Thanks for tracking that down so quickly!

I've been unable to duplicate the bug on my test machines, which makes it
difficult to determine if the snapshot works before putting it into production.
Do you happen to know how to trigger the overzealous withdrawals?

Also, any word on fixing the neednodes problem?

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Garrick Staples wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 04:30:39PM -0700, Garrick Staples alleged:
> >>maui-3.2.6-p6.1079990700
> >>torque-1.0.1-0.p6
> >>qbank-2.11.0
> >>
> >>It seems that Maui is overcharging some users.  I haven't figured out the
> >>
> >>From qbank's bnklog:
> >>REQUEST=COMMAND=make_reservation AUTH=maui MACHINE=hpc ACCOUNT=lc_seb
> >>USER=pap WCLIMIT=36000 PROCCOUNT=10 QOS=DEFAULT CLASS=[DEFAULT]
> >>NODETYPE=DEFAULT TYPE=maui JOBID=2548 JOBTYPE=job NODES=10
> >>REQUEST=COMMAND=remove_reservation AUTH=maui ACCOUNT=lc_seb JOBID=2548
> >>REQUEST=COMMAND=make_withdrawal AUTH=maui MACHINE=hpc ACCOUNT=lc_seb
> >>USER=pap WCTIME=852 PROCCOUNT=20 PROCCRATE=1.00 QOS=DEFAULT
> >>CLASS=[DEFAULT] NODETYPE= JOBID=2548 JOBTYPE=job NODES=10
> >>
> >>See how all of the withdrawal's PROCCOUNT are doubled?
> >>
> >>I don't have maui's logs since they are currently rotating too fast.
> >>

> >Now that I've slept on it, I guess the doubling PROCCOUNT might make sense
> >if
> >Maui is accounting for the second processor on each node that can't be
> >assigned
> >to another job (these are all dual proc nodes, and we dedicate nodes to
> >jobs).
> >
> >So I guess the question is... why is Maui withdrawing so often?

University of Southern California