[Mauiusers] more processors utilized than dedicated?

Adrian Taga adrian.taga@fysik.uu.se
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:32:58 +0100

I made a small change in maui.c. It seems to work, but coud be side effectes?

////// maui.c
        N->ARes.Procs = MAX(0,
                          (int)(N->CRes.Procs - TotalProcDed[N->Index]));
/*
        N->ARes.Procs = MAX(0,
                          N->CRes.Procs -
                          TotalProcDed[N->Index] -
                          Policy[0].UntrackedProcFactor *
                          MAX(0,(int)(N->Load - TotalProcUtl[N->Index])));
*/

The problem with the original formula was that it inluded a factor
     N->Load - TotalProcUtl[N->Index]
which is the difference between the actual Load and the utilization according to the resource manager.
But in our cluster, PBS cannot track the cpu utilization of mpi jobs, and therefore an unwanted factor appears.

Speaking of MAUI 3.2, I'd like to beta-test it. How can I get the code?
I'm interested in the new 2 dimensional throttling policies. Especially, in this:
CLASSCFG[X]  MAXPROCPERUSER=<LIMIT>

I have several dificulties with maui-3.0.7. I can not get this option working:
QOSCFG[high] MAXPROC=3
Neither this one:
CLASSCFG[short] MAXPROC=3
I have tried various combinations and I was carefull to have only one QOSCFG or CLASSCFG option per qos/class.
Another problem is that the CLASSCFG option seems to make no effect in the maui.cfg file, only in fs.cfg
CLASSCFG[short] QLIST=parallel:high:normal QDEF=high MAXPROC=3  -- has no effect in maui.cfg
CLASS:short QLIST=parallel:high:normal QDEF=high MAXPROC=3      -- works, except the MAXPROC option
What could be the problem?

Best regards,

/Adrian.