[gold-users] Cleaning up old Gold data

Scott Jackson scottmo at adaptivecomputing.com
Thu Feb 14 11:02:35 MST 2013

A pruning routine was added to MAM 7.2 and later for this purpose:

     * Database pruning -- A new System Prune action has been created that
       will allow an administrator to delete historical data from the
       database prior to a specified retention time or period. This action
is
       in beta and will not be documented until proven out. Database pruning
       may be useful to some sites because database queries and reports may
       become slower over the years after millions of transactions, usage
       records and allocation log records accumulate in the database. This
       command attempts to safely trim back historical and log data prior to
       a specified time period to restore performance while maintaining
       database self-consistency. After pruning the database to a certain
       retention time, reports and queries must only be requested for data
       after that time or the results may be inconsistent or undefined. If
       you are interested in utilizing this command, please contact support
       for usage instructions.

For prior versions, you can trim your Transaction and Job tables fairly
easily, but reducing the Allocation tables and journals is very difficult.