[gold-users] Bug: configure.ac patch

Jonas Juselius jonas.juselius at uit.no
Tue Oct 9 12:10:40 MDT 2012

Howdy.

On 10/09/2012 06:02 PM, Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Tuesday, 09 October 2012, at 17:01:32 (+0200),
> Jonas Juselius wrote:
>
>> This is what the standard Rocks roll build system does, and I'm not
>> going to fix that...
> That's fine.  You don't have to.  But someone sure should.  :-)
> The simple fact is that ROCKS is wrong here.  If you look at how
> correct RPMs are built, they almost always do one of two things:
> either "make install DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" or "%makeinstall."  The
> latter is a macro which expands to a resetting of ALL AUTOTOOLS PATHS,
> not just $prefix.  And in cases like Gold where there are additional
> relative paths, those need to be passed in as well by the spec file.

Ok. I'm not entirely sure how this works. I'm normally working with deb,
and I'm not very familiar with building rpms.

> No offense, but the patches you sent are not correct.  The build
> procedure you're using is what needs to change, not the code.  Since
> Gold doesn't properly support DESTDIR (largely because it doesn't use
> automake), your best bet here is to do something like:
>
> %makeinstall LOG_DIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/log DOC_DIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_docdir}

I don't know how to make this work under the rocks build system, which
generates the rpm:s from source. There is no reference to makeinstall
anywhere under the rocks devel tree. The problem is easy enough to
solve: I can configure and install like normal, and then generate a rpm
from the install tree. Or, I can apply the patch, and the rocks builder
will generate a working rpm for me ;)

Jonas