[gold-users] Gold no longer working

Shade Alabsa shade34321 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 10:13:43 MDT 2012

I tried to create the  gold user and received an error stating role "gold"
already exists. My biggest concern is that there is no Gold user in the
system, which may have been lost with the loss of /etc? I will make a back
up of the database, uninstall/reinstall postgresql, and then try it again.
I didn't think /var_lib_new/ sounded right but it was the only place I
could find. Thanks for the help!

Shade

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Scott Jackson <
scottmo at adaptivecomputing.com> wrote:

> [...]
> create the database as and import as with the user name and password in
> goldd.conf. There is no need for the database user and password entries in
> the gold.conf file.
>
> But, before you do that... first I would try making sure there is a
> database user gold which has permissions to the database.
>

> *CREATE USER gold WITH PASSWORD 'DATABASE_PASSWORD';*
> *GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE gold to gold;
>

> *
> It is also possible that this is related to some problems in your hba.conf
> file.
> I know you updated the file in /var_lib_new/pgsql/data/pg_
> hba.conf. But that just doesn't seem like the right place to me. If you
> accidentally deleted /etc, then you may need to reinstall postgres to get
> your /etc postgres dirs and files back and then reedit them.
>
> Scott
>

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Shade Alabsa <shade34321 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> So previously my database.user was root, and then postgres. Since the
>> owner of the gold table is gold I switched it to gold and it now looks like
>> the pastes below. Yet I'm stilling getting the same error message, just
>> with a different user name now, pasted below as well.
>>
>> goldd.conf file -
>>    # Gold Client Config File
>>    super.user = root # was defined in previous goldd.conf file
>>    server.host = mgt.cluster.net
>>    server.port = 7112
>>    # server.backup = NONE
>>    database.datasource = DBI:Pg:dbname=gold;host=mgt.cluster.net
>>    database.user = gold
>>    database.password = DATABASE_PASSWORD
>>
>> gold.conf -
>>    server.host = mgt.cluster.net
>>    server.port = 7112
>>    # server.backup = NONE
>>    database.datasource = DBI:Pg:dbname=gold;host=mgt.cluster.net
>>    database.user = gold
>>    database.password = DATABASE_PASSWORD
>>

>> gold=# \d
>>                    List of relations
>>  Schema |             Name             | Type  | Owner
>> --------+------------------------------+-------+-------
>>  public | g_account                    | table | gold
>>  public | g_account_account            | table | gold
>>
>> Error Message -
>>    [root at mgt gold]# sbin/goldd start
>>    Starting Gold Pid (25221)
>>    [root at mgt gold]# DBI connect('dbname=gold;host=mgt.cluster.net','gold
>> ',...) failed: FATAL:  role "gold " does not exist at
>> /usr/local/gold/lib/Gold/Database.pm line 165
>>

>> Do you feel like backing up the current database and reinstalling from
>> scratch might be a better idea? Thanks for the help!
>>
>> Shade
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Scott Jackson <
>> scottmo at adaptivecomputing.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What values do you have for database.user and database.password in your
>>> goldd.conf files?
>>>
>>> database.datasource = DBI:Pg:dbname=gold;host=mana
>>> database.user = scottmo