[gold-users] Getting Project metadata into Gold

Jonathan Mills jonmills at renci.org
Fri Mar 18 13:45:52 MDT 2011

I have Gold up and running, and there are users and jobs and
transactions, etc.  However, the real problem we hope to solve with Gold
is to track usage at the project level.

No meaningful project metadata comes into Gold from Moab, because the
users don't input anything project-specific when they call 'qsub' on the
command line.  While you can export PBS environment variables in your
script, I don't see one of those variables for, or relating to,
"project".

So there's two challenges:  1) how to get the users to input project
names when they submit a job; 2) how to validate the project names to
prevent someone from inputting nonsense, or nonexistent projects, or a
misspelled project name.  We may also face a user education issue....

I can imagine some scenario where the qsub binary is renamed, and called
from a script named 'qsub'.....where the script does some validation?

However, I thought I would write and see how the community has addressed
these points (since I am very new at this!)

Cheers,

Jonathan

P.S. -- Thank you, Scott, for your helpful responses to this list!