[gold-users] Permissions and Charging Rates

Scott Jackson scottmo at adaptivecomputing.com
Tue May 11 11:18:30 MDT 2010

Hi Brian,

Brian O'Connor wrote:

> [...]
> like beer, and then allowed actions on that resource, like drinking
> it. There are also
> action qualifiers like how much beer and when I can drink it.
>
> using the Bar paradigm, within Gold the patrons are users, and
> resources are Objects right?
>
> gold> Object Query
> Name                  Association Parent      Child        Description
> --------------------- ----------- ----------- ------------
> Object                False                                Object
> Attribute             False                                Attribute
> Action                False                                Action
> Transaction           False                                Transaction Log
> System                False                                System
> User                  False                                User
> Role                  False                                Role
> RoleAction            True        Role        Action       Role Action
> Association
> RoleUser              True        Role        User         Role User
> Association
> Password              False                                Password
> ANY                   False                                Any Object
> NONE                  False                                No Object
> Organization          False                                Virtual
> Organization
> Project               False                                Project
> Machine               False                                Machine
> ProjectUser           True        Project     User         Membership
> mapping Users to Projects
> ProjectMachine        True        Project     Machine      Membership
> mapping Machines to Projects
> Account               False                                Account
> AccountProject        True        Account     Project      Project
> Access control List
> AccountUser           True        Account     User         User Access
> control List
> AccountMachine        True        Account     Machine      Machine
> Access control List
> AccountOrganization   True        Account     Organization Forwarding
> Account Information
> Allocation            False                                Allocation
> Reservation           False                                Reservation
> ReservationAllocation True        Reservation Allocation   Reservation
> Allocation Association
> Quotation             False                                Quotation
> ChargeRate            False                                Charge Rates
> QuotationChargeRate   True        Quotation   ChargeRate   Charge Rate
> guaranteed by the associated Quotation
> Job                   False                                Job
> AccountAccount        True        Account     Account      Account

In the Action table:

scottmo at mana:/software/moab-5.4$ goldsh Action Query
Object                Name     Display Description
--------------------- -------- ------- -----------
Object                Create   False
Object                Query    False
Object                Modify   False
Object                Delete   False
Object                Undelete False
Attribute             Create   False
Attribute             Query    False
Attribute             Modify   False
Attribute             Delete   False
Attribute             Undelete False
Action                Create   False
Action                Query    False
Action                Modify   False
Action                Delete   False
Action                Undelete False
Transaction           Query    True
Transaction           Undo     False
Transaction           Redo     False
System                Create   False
System                Query    False
System                Modify   False
System                Delete   False
System                Undelete False
System                Refresh  False
User                  Create   True
User                  Query    True
User                  Modify   True
User                  Delete   True
User                  Undelete True
Role                  Create   False
Role                  Query    False
Role                  Modify   False
Role                  Delete   False
Role                  Undelete False
RoleAction            Create   False
RoleAction            Query    False
RoleAction            Modify   False
RoleAction            Delete   False
RoleAction            Undelete False
RoleUser              Create   False
RoleUser              Query    False
RoleUser              Modify   False
RoleUser              Delete   False
RoleUser              Undelete False
Password              Create   False
Password              Query    False
Password              Modify   False
Password              Delete   False
Password              Undelete False
ANY                   ANY      False   Any Action
NONE                  NONE     False   No Action
Organization          Create   True    Create
Organization          Query    True    Query
Organization          Modify   True    Modify
Organization          Delete   True    Delete
Organization          Undelete True    Undelete
Project               Create   True    Create
Project               Query    True    Query
Project               Modify   True    Modify
Project               Delete   True    Delete
Project               Undelete True    Undelete
Machine               Create   True    Create
Machine               Query    True    Query
Machine               Modify   True    Modify
Machine               Delete   True    Delete
Machine               Undelete True    Undelete
ProjectUser           Create   True    Create
ProjectUser           Query    True    Query
ProjectUser           Modify   True    Modify
ProjectUser           Delete   True    Delete
ProjectUser           Undelete True    Undelete
ProjectMachine        Create   True    Create
ProjectMachine        Query    True    Query
ProjectMachine        Modify   True    Modify
ProjectMachine        Delete   True    Delete
ProjectMachine        Undelete True    Undelete
Account               Create   True    Create
Account               Query    True    Query
Account               Modify   True    Modify
Account               Delete   True    Delete
Account               Undelete True    Undelete
Account               Withdraw True    Withdraw
Account               Balance  True    Balance
Account               Deposit  True    Deposit
Account               Transfer True    Transfer
AccountProject        Create   True    Create
AccountProject        Query    True    Query
AccountProject        Modify   True    Modify
AccountProject        Delete   True    Delete
AccountProject        Undelete True    Undelete
AccountUser           Create   True    Create
AccountUser           Query    True    Query
AccountUser           Modify   True    Modify
AccountUser           Delete   True    Delete
AccountUser           Undelete True    Undelete
AccountMachine        Create   True    Create
AccountMachine        Query    True    Query
AccountMachine        Modify   True    Modify
AccountMachine        Delete   True    Delete
AccountMachine        Undelete True    Undelete
AccountOrganization   Create   False   Create
AccountOrganization   Query    False   Query
AccountOrganization   Modify   False   Modify
AccountOrganization   Delete   False   Delete
AccountOrganization   Undelete False   Undelete
Allocation            Create   False   Create
Allocation            Query    True    Query
Allocation            Modify   True    Modify
Allocation            Delete   True    Delete
Allocation            Undelete True    Undelete
Allocation            Refresh  False   Refresh
Reservation           Create   False   Create
Reservation           Query    True    Query
Reservation           Modify   False   Modify
Reservation           Delete   True    Delete
Reservation           Undelete True    Undelete
ReservationAllocation Create   False   Create
ReservationAllocation Query    True    Query
ReservationAllocation Modify   False   Modify
ReservationAllocation Delete   False   Delete
ReservationAllocation Undelete False   Undelete
Quotation             Create   False   Create
Quotation             Query    True    Query
Quotation             Modify   False   Modify
Quotation             Delete   True    Delete
Quotation             Undelete True    Undelete
ChargeRate            Create   True    Create
ChargeRate            Query    True    Query
ChargeRate            Modify   True    Modify
ChargeRate            Delete   True    Delete
ChargeRate            Undelete True    Undelete
QuotationChargeRate   Create   False   Create
QuotationChargeRate   Query    True    Query
QuotationChargeRate   Modify   False   Modify
QuotationChargeRate   Delete   False   Delete
QuotationChargeRate   Undelete False   Undelete
Job                   Create   True    Create
Job                   Query    True    Query
Job                   Modify   True    Modify
Job                   Delete   True    Delete
Job                   Undelete True    Undelete
Job                   Charge   False   Charge
Job                   Reserve  False   Reserve
Job                   Quote    False   Quote
Job                   Refund   True    Refund
AccountAccount        Create   False   Create
AccountAccount        Query    False   Query
AccountAccount        Modify   False   Modify
AccountAccount        Delete   False   Delete
AccountAccount        Undelete False   Undelete

> I can create a role and a role action, but these are just strings,
> where do I relate actual gold
> functionality to a resource

These are more than just strings. They relate to the actions in the
Action table shown above.

> gold> Role Create Name=Fred
> Name Description
> ---- -----------
> Fred
> Successfully created 1 Role
> gold> RoleAction Create Role=Fred Object=Job Name=Sparkle
> Role Object Name    Instance
> ---- ------ ------- --------
> Fred Job    Sparkle ANY
> Successfully created 1 RoleAction
> gold> RoleAction Query
> Role         Object         Name    Instance
> ------------ -------------- ------- --------
> SystemAdmin  ANY            ANY     ANY
> Anonymous    ANY            Query   ANY
> Anonymous    Password       ANY     SELF
> Anonymous    Account        Balance ANY
> ProjectAdmin Project        ANY     ADMIN
> UserServices Job            Refund  ANY
> UserServices User           ANY     ANY
> UserServices Machine        ANY     ANY
> UserServices Project        ANY     ANY
> UserServices ProjectUser    ANY     ANY
> UserServices ProjectMachine ANY     ANY
> Scheduler    Job            Charge  ANY
> Scheduler    Job            Quote   ANY
> Scheduler    Job            Reserve ANY
> Scheduler    Reservation    Delete  ANY
> OVERRIDE     Account        Balance ANY
> UserServices Job            Quote   ANY
> Fred         Job            Sparkle ANY
> gold>
>

> So how do I find out what a particular action is..i.e the Refund action?
> ..an how do I apply some sort of actual Gold functionality to the
> "Sparkle" action?

There are some default actions which are understood in the underlying
Base.pm module. These include Create, Query, Modify, Delete and
Undelete. These are implemented in Gold subroutines. In the Bank.pm
module, there is additional business logic to make Gold behave as an
allocation manager. Many of the Base actions are overridden, and other
allocation-manager actions are implemented in the code (charge, balance,
deposit, etc). Creating a Sparkle Action is not going to do anything for
you unless you implement the action in a module (i.e. Radiate.pm) and
then modify Proxy.pm to look for your custom overrides/implementations:

     # First try performing custom Radiate action if not scoped to base
class
        if (! $scope)
        {
            # Try calling custom radiate actions
            my $response = Gold::Radiate->execute($self);

            my $code = $response->getCode();
            if ($code ne "313" && $code ne "315")
            {
                $self->setResponse($response);
                return $response;
            }
        }
        else
        {
            $self->{_request}->setAction($action);
        }

       # If it falls through, try to perform the Base action
        $self->{_response} = Gold::Base->execute($self);

> What I am trying to do is set things up so that a user can ask for a
> quote in his
> own project/account but not others, but default user that are created
> by the gui or
> user.autocreate are not authorised to get a quote.

Unfortunately, there is not a built-in Instance Type that will grab the
Project of the Quote and check for Actor membership in that project.
This would have to be enabled in code as an OVERRIDE RoleAction. You
would do this by Adding a RoleAction of Role=OVERRIDE, Object=Job,
Action=Quote, (Instance=ANY). Then, you would have to add code in the
quote subroutine in Bank.pm with the desired business logic. See the
override code in balance for an example.

> The other thing I'd like to do is set up two machines with different
> charging rates(cpu/mem etc).
> How can I associate a group of Charges with a machine so that gquote
> -m machine2 picks it up.
> I seem to have to use gquote -X Machine=machine2

Well, gquote -X Machine=machine2 should be the same as gquote -m
machine2 except that -X Machine will key off of the actual word Machine
instead of -m which will key off of MachineName (i.e. you could put
MachineName in as the ChargeRate Name in ChargeRate).

However, about the only thing you can do charge-wise with named job
properties is to apply a name-based multiplier rate. So, you could add a
ChargeRate of (Name=MachineName, Instance=machine2, Rate=2) and this
would apply a multiple of 2 to the overall charge. This may come close
to what you want, but it is not going to get you different cpu charge
rates and different memory chargerates depending on the machine you are
coming from.

To do this, your options are:

1) Use two gold's, one for each machine.
2) Do your own charge algorithm in a prolog and epilog and pass the
charge/reserve/quote in via g{quote|reserve|charge} -X Charge=12345.45
where you calculate the charge yourself and Gold just accepts the value.
3) Wait for gold 2.2 which I just started working on last week.
4) Mess with the code yourself:)

In Gold 2.2, I am adding a new Type field in the ChargeRate object and
there will be support for a new simple Multi-dimensional Value Based
Resource.

Here is a table indicating the types of chargerates that will be
supported in the new minor version of Gold:

Type        Name(i.e)   Instance(i.e.)   Rate(i.e)    Description
----------  ----------  ---------------  -----------
------------------------------
Resource    Processors                   10           Value Based
Resource (VBR)
Usage       Power                        500          Value Based Usage
(VBU)
Quality     QOS         Premium          2            Name Based
Multiplier (NBM)
Service     License     Abacus           10           Name Based
Resource (NBR)
Multiplier  Discount                     0.5          Value Based
Multiplier (VBM)
Feature     Feature     Telescope        5            Name Based Usage (NBU)
Fee         Shipping                     100          external Value
Based Usage (xVBU)
Token       Zone        Asia             400          external Name
Based Usage (xNBU)
(Disk)       User        scottmo          10          Multi-dimensional
VBR (MVBR)

So, using the MVBR, you would add a line like:

Type=Memory Name=MachineName Instance=machine1 Rate=.1
Description="memory on machine1 charges at .1"
Type=Memory Name=MachineName Instance=machine2 Rate=.2
Description="memory on machine2 charges at .2"

Then use gquote -m machine2 -M 2048 ..., or just use Moab as usual
because MachineName (and I think requested Memory) will route in via
Moab Gold calls.

This will take a few months to get done and documented. I will be happy
to keep you in mind as a beta tester if desired.