[gold-users] A couple of questions related to Gold...

Scott Jackson scottmo at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Mar 10 15:18:07 MST 2010

Hello Ingmar,

Ingmar Thompson wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if anyone might be able toanswer the following questions
> on Gold as we evaluate adopting it at NCAR (National Center for
> Atmospheric Research).
> 1) Our group at NCAR is mainly Java with some Perl knowledge.  We were
> wondering if anyone has experience with developing a Java GUI
> application to interface with Gold.  We are looking at possibilities to
> call the Perl API functions via Java, but were wondering if anyone has
> pursued this route with any success?
> 2) There is mention in the Gold documentation that a Java API was
> written.  Did this ever happen?  I get the sense this was something that
> was dropped with preference going to the Perl API.

Gold was written in Java before it was written in Perl. The GUI was also
written in Java JSP. At the time that it was rewritten in Perl, we had
two interfaces Java and Perl that worked. However, the Java interface
was not maintained and was eventually dropped from the Gold code base. I
believe you can find an old version of the interface in
http://www.clusterresources.com/downloads/gold/gold-2.0.0.0.tar.gz

[scottmo at keko gold-2.0.0.0]$ find . -name "*.java"
./gui/src/gold/web/client/ConditionBean.java
./gui/src/gold/web/client/RequestBean.java
./gui/src/gold/web/client/UserBean.java
./gui/src/gold/web/client/AccountBean.java
./gui/src/gold/web/client/ElementUtil.java
./src/Test.java
./src/GoldClient.java
./src/gold/Reply.java
./src/gold/Datum.java
./src/gold/Config.java
./src/gold/Message.java
./src/gold/CanonicalXMLOutputter.java
./src/gold/Response.java
./src/gold/Condition.java
./src/gold/Selection.java
./src/gold/Assignment.java
./src/gold/Constants.java
./src/gold/Option.java
./src/gold/Chunk.java
./src/gold/AttributeComparator.java
./src/gold/Object.java
./src/gold/Request.java
./src/gold/Base64.java
./src/gold/GoldException.java

This is old, out-of-date, unsupported and all-but-forgotten. If you want
to try to use it, you will be on your own since all current and future
development and support revolves around the Perl interfaces. However, if
you had the notion of creating your own Java interface to Gold, I could
see this as an extremely helpful starting point.

> 3) Gold intergration with Moab.  Does anyone have any comments on how
> difficult this has been for you?  What were the most difficult aspects
> of getting these two hooked up?

Moab talks to Gold over the socket using the SSS Wire Protocol and SSS
Message Format. The hardest parts were handling the authentication
routines. Other than that, the building and parsing of the XML were
rather simple. The documents describing this protocol have long resided
on http://sss.scl.ameslab.gov/ScalableSystems . However, this site is
not responding at the moment. Let me know if this is essential for you
and I will try to provide copies of these documents that I have saved off.