[gold-users] possibility to have a one-to-many relationship between allocation and projects?

ingmar ingmar at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 22 16:21:41 MDT 2010

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone might have an idea on this one?  Gold supports
the idea of accounts having many allocations, and a project having an
allocation if it has just one account.  The hierarchy seems to be
Project -> account(s) where each account can have one or more
allocation.  It is also possible to have an account with a child account
and then allocations associated to the child account.  We have a current
business model where a division within the organization is
allocated/deposited a certain number of computing units.  This
allocation is then divided amongst different projects and in turn
accounts related to the projects.  It is nearly like the hierarchy
supported by Gold is 'turned upside down'.  My management wants to know
if this sort of business model could be supported by Gold?  After seeing
the default hierarchy I would say no, not even with modification to the
database?  Our business model is counter to one of the fundamental
concept on which Gold is built?  I am thinking without a large amount of
code modification to Gold, this business model could not be supported?
Any thoughts or comments from other sites and their implementations?
Thanks,
-Ingmar Thompson NCAR