[gold-users] Connecting up Gold with Moab on a Cray...

Eirik Thorsnes eirik.thorsnes at uni.no
Mon Jun 7 02:41:49 MDT 2010

Once more to the email list due to bounce...

On 04-06-2010 19:40, ingmar wrote:
> Hello,
> Our supercomputing group and I are going to get Gold (running on a
> separate Linux box) connected to Moab running on a Cray.  This is
> probably a rather rare configuration.  I was wondering if anyone out in
> the community has done such a thing and what problems were encountered.
> Thanks,
> -Ingmar Thompson
> NCAR

Hi,

we are currently running Moab on our Cray XT4 and connect it to Gold on
our Cray SMW workstation. We let Moab on the sdb-node talk to a port on
the boot-node which is forwarded with iptables to the SMW.

We have this line in moab.cfg:
  AMCFG[bank] TYPE=GOLD HOST=boot PORT=7112 SOCKETPROTOCOL=HTTP
WIREPROTOCOL=XML CHARGEPOLICY=DEBITALLBLOCKED
JOBFAILUREACTION=RETRY,HOLD TIMEOUT=15:00

In addition you need the CLIENTCFG[AM:bank]... line in moab-private.cfg.

We installed gold (client) in the XT and set the correct path in moabs
config.gold.pl.

To avoid a high load for Moab/Gold combination we have limited the
number of idle jobs in Moab (MAXIJOB) and put in place cron-jobs which
check if there are idle jobs that cannot start due to wrong cpu-account
or not enough credits (sends email to user and put job on hold).

Also, make sure that your database is tuned and vacuumed and all indexes
are in place.

Regards,

Eirik

--
Eirik Thorsnes - System Engineer
Parallab, Uni BCCS (Bergen Center for Computational Science)