[gold-users] SQL Queries for gold commands

Steve Crusan scrusan at ur.rochester.edu
Thu Jul 1 21:13:10 MDT 2010

What we're basically doing is putting together a smaller, more lean frontend
to gold, and also trying together some other functions and information for
our users in a sort of 'HPC Portal' for them, which includes their group
membership info, CPU usage, document sharing, grant info and such. We are
basically going to take our LDAP membership hierarchy and import it into
gold (projects, accounts, user groups, etc). Since gold does a great job of
organizing things in the database and such, we'll probably use that
directly...We have a pretty large userbase right now, so we can't really
start from scratch and develop.

The gold web application that comes with the software is excellent, but
unfortunately, we feel that it gives too much information on other projects,
groups, and such to be opened up to our project sponsors and such. There's
been conversations on this list about minimizing the views (or scopes) of
which a user can see, but right now that's a few releases away, as per
Scott's responses. The gold web interface will be used for our internal and
administrative staff.

If anyone is interested in a similar solution, we're going to be trying to
modulize the user portal and release it open source...;-)

On 7/1/10 5:00 PM, "Stijn De Weirdt" <stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be> wrote:

>     Is there anywhere in the source that has a SQL styled listing of
> the
> queries used for certain gold commands (such as gstatement, etc,
> etc)?
> Looking through the source of some of the perl scripts, it looks
> like most
> of those use the Database.pm in the lib/Gold/ libraries
> directory.

an
> easy way is to setup a test gold instance and run it in debug log
level. the
> all the sql used is available in the log files. (the test
gold instance will
> help isolate the queries you are looking for).

>     We¹re building a front
> end to gold, but we¹d like to use the
> postgres database itself as the
> datasource, and I like some of the
> gstatement commands and such. So I was
> wondering if there is an
> internal listing or set of documentation anywhere
> for this that lists
> some of the SQL queries used to generate the reports. I
> know we can
> probably look over the Database.pm heavily and devise our own
> system,
> but since Gold already does this extremely well internally, I¹d
> rather
> not recreate the wheel.
>
>     It is either doing the above, or
> putting the Gold client
> commands/libraries on our web app and then hooking
> PHP with it to
> generate what we need.
>
>     Anyone else do something
> similar?

what exactly are you trying to do? i'm interested into
> extracting
job/queue state information from gold (ie jobs queued,
> running,
finished...) for multiple clusters using the same golddb, but this is
> on
my todo list. i habe some ideas, but nothing implemented yet.

stijn

http://hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

gold-users mailing
gold-users at supercluster.org