[gold-users] Questions about statistics (gstatement/glsjob)

Scott Jackson scottmo at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Aug 11 12:50:54 MDT 2010

Hi M.Soysal,

A couple of things:

First, CreationTime represents when a job record was first created or
when an import event actually happened, while StartTime and EndTime
represent when a job started or ended respectively. It is not
infrequently the case that some schedulers or resource managers do not
supply the start or endtime of the job in the reservation or charge so
these fields are sometimes not filled in.

Assuming you are just looking at when jobs ran, and further assuming
that you set proper startTime and endTime values for the jobs when you
imported them, then you should be able to come up with an appropriate
query when querying jobs to get the job listing that you want.

Secondly, Gold maintains a consistent historical state of the balance
and it does not allow you to arbitrarily change past balance states.
Just as in a real bank, the debits and credits are registered. If a
mistake is detected, this is corrected through a refund, or an
appropriate present action. You cannot just go back and change past
states thereby invalidating and reformulating previous balance sheets.
If a wrong amount was charged yesterday, you can correct it today by a
refund or deposit, but you cannot change yesterday's balance. Same for
the importing of new job data. This will generally not affect the
balance. If you decide to correlate these with charges, the charges will
hit present balances, not previous balances.

The gstatement command looks back at previous states of the account
balance. It uses CreationTime on the Transactions to filter out what
balance affecting actions occurred during the specified time period.
Gstatement is really looking at changes to the state of the account
balances over that time. Gold will not provide you a way to import the
jobs in such a way that impacts the balances at a previous time. If you
want to try to do this on your own you will have to accept whatever
inconsistencies it may create in the journals.

For your immediate question, you would have to either write a client
using the perl gold api to do what you want or use the goldsh prompt,
something like:

Job Query EndTime>='2010-06-01' EndTime<'2010-07-01'
Show:="GroupBy(Project),Sum(Charge)"

I hope this helps,

Scott