[gold-users] Unauthorized overdrafts

Scott Jackson scottmo at clusterresources.com
Wed Apr 15 18:45:30 MDT 2009

Tolis,

I can't recall if I've answered this one already for you. Unfortunately,
I found that my spam filter had incorrectly removed this from my Inbox.
I apologize for the long wait if you have not received an answer yet.

Tolis Sisiaridis wrote:
> I noticed that although i left the CreditLimit for all project
> allocations set
> to the default value (0) , it is possible to reserve and charge any
> number
> of credits to any account using greserve/gcharge. Is this the normal
> behavior  of  the application
> and if it is , how can i prevent this from happening? Using the latest
> version of GOLD...

Reservations should fail. Charges should succeed. Let me know if this is
not what is happening.

The theory is that when you are deciding whether to start a job, you do
not want to start it if there are not enough funds, so you should reject
the reservation request and the resource manager should normally not
start the job (as a side note, some schedulers, such as Moab, can be
configured to run the job even if the reservation fails).
Once a job has actually run and used actual resources, you probably want
to record the usage, even if it makes the account go negative. If this
happens, then something else went wrong (the job run past its wallclock
limit, or a withdrawal was made to your account before the job could
complete, etc). It doesn;t do you much good to use the cycles and throw
away the accounting and not charge for it. It has to be accounted for.
If this happens on an account with CreditLimit of 0, we need to figure
out what else is going wrong to allow the job to get started when it
should not have had enough credits to do so.