[gold-users] PBS integration

Tolis Sisiaridis tolis.sisiaridis at oerc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 11 08:10:37 MDT 2008

Brock Palen wrote:
> It's been some time sense we used PBSPro (Use torque now).  But
> prologue and epilogue  were only ran on mother superior.  Unless this
> changed recently you should be fine.
>
> Is there a way to talk to gold directly via the schedular?  We hook in
> directly from moab and maui.
>
> Brock Palen
> Center for Advanced Computing
> brockp at umich.edu
> (734)936-1985
>

> On Mar 11, 2008, at 6:03 AM, Tolis Sisiaridis wrote:
>
>> So far i was testing GOLD on an Altix running PBS pro.
>> Job reservation and charging is possible by wrapping
>> greserve and gcharge inside the prologue/epilogue scripts
>> together with some simple calculations ( walltime/date
>> conversions etc) in bash. I can share my prologue/epilogue
>> scripts if requested.
>> I am trying now to use GOLD on clusters running PBS
>> Pro where things are much different and i am stuck.
>> The prologue/epilogue scripts are executed by
>> each MOM ( pbs execution daemon) which runs on each cluster node.
>> This means that i need to install and run the GOLD daemon
>> on each node and also when a JOB ends on x*nodes then
>> we will have x*MOMs charging for the same job!!
>> My question is: Has anyone managed to use GOLD
>> on clusters managed by PBS and if so how ?
>>
>> Tolis

I am afraid we don't have Maui, Torque or Moab, just PBSPro.
And prologue/epilogue  are executed  by  default  from
the PBS execution environment ( MOM) whenever a job
starts or ends. On clusters, each node runs its own MOM
so the scripts are executed multiple times for jobs that
are split among nodes.
On shared memory machines only one MOM is  running
and that is why  things are much simpler there.

Tolis